Teeth are one of those things that most people are self-conscious about. Are they too yellow? Too crooked? Too short? Too long? These are pretty common thoughts that people have when they look in the mirror and see their smile. If you’re unhappy with your teeth, you’re not alone. In fact, a lot of people feel the same way.
The good news is that there are ways to improve your smile. One of them is through a treatment called a “smile makeover.” A smile makeover is basically when a dentist or orthodontist works with you to improve the appearance of your teeth and mouth. This can be done through a number of different treatments, depending on what exactly you want to change about your smile.
Whether you’ve heard of a smile makeover, you’re considering a smile makeover, or this is your first time hearing about this concept, this article is for you. In it, we’ll discuss the top benefits of getting a smile makeover. By the end, you should have a better understanding of what this treatment can do for you and whether or not it’s right for you.
The Importance of Having Beautiful Teeth
Beauty is something that we all enjoy. Whether it’s a beautiful sunset, an incredible view of a natural land formation such as Utah’s Delicate Arch, or a beautiful smile, beauty catches our eye and brings joy.
There’s no denying that having beautiful teeth is important. In fact, studies have shown that people with good oral hygiene are seen as more attractive, more intelligent, and even more successful than those with poor oral hygiene.
In fact, there are a lot of benefits that come with having good oral hygiene, for example:
- More confidence:
- This one almost goes without saying, when you have an especially beautiful smile, you can’t help but feel more confident. This newfound confidence will show in your interactions with others and could lead to more success both professionally and personally.
- A boost to your self-esteem:
- Along with increased confidence, having good oral hygiene also leads to a boost in self-esteem. This is because you’ll no longer be embarrassed about your teeth or worried that people are judging you based on the state of your mouth. Instead, you’ll be able to relax and enjoy social situations without stress or worry.
- Better general health:
- Believe it or not, oral hygiene is actually linked to overall health. This is because poor oral hygiene can lead to a number of different health problems, such as gum disease, tooth decay, and even heart disease. On the other hand, good oral hygiene leads to better general health. So not only will you have a beautiful smile, but you’ll also be healthier overall.
- Better smelling breath:
- Halitosis, or bad breath, is a common problem that a lot of people suffer from. Luckily, it’s also something that can be fixed with good oral hygiene. By brushing and flossing regularly, you can get rid of the bacteria in your mouth that causes bad breath. -Fewer trips to the dentist: This one is pretty simple – if you have good oral hygiene then you won’t need to go to the dentist as often. And who doesn’t want to avoid those dreaded dental bills?
- Lower chance of having serious oral health issues:
- As we mentioned before, poor oral hygiene can lead to a number of different health problems. However, if you have good oral hygiene then you’ll be at a lower risk for developing these problems.
All of these benefits make a pretty easy case for why having beautiful teeth is so important. But what if you’re not happy with the state of your teeth? Whether they’re yellow, crooked, or just not as white as you’d like them to be, there are ways to improve the appearance of your smile.
Plenty of people aren’t happy with their teeth. In fact, in a survey of over 100,000 people, 64% said that they were unhappy with the state of their teeth. That’s really a shame, especially considering how important teeth are to our overall health and appearance.
Luckily, as you’ve probably gathered, there is a good and easy enough solution to this problem: a smile makeover. We’ll be covering that in more detail in the next section.
The Basics of a Smile Makeover
So, as we’ve established already, if you’re one of the 64% of people who are unhappy with their teeth, a smile makeover might be right for you. But what exactly is a smile makeover?
A smile makeover is basically when a dentist or orthodontist works with you to improve the appearance of your teeth and mouth. This can be done through a number of different treatments, depending on what exactly you want to change about your smile.
There are a lot of treatments that are involved in a smile makeover, so let’s take a look at them so you can better understand this process:
- This is a process where a dentist uses a bleaching agent to make your teeth whiter. This is usually done in-office, but there are also at-home bleaching kits that you can use.
- Veneers are basically thin pieces of porcelain or plastic that are bonded to the front of your teeth. They’re used to change the color, shape, size, or length of your teeth.
- Braces are metal brackets that are attached to your teeth and then connected with wires. They’re used to straighten your teeth over time. Depending on how severe your misalignment is, you might need to wear braces for anywhere from 6 months to 2 years.
- Invisalign is similar to braces in that it’s used to straighten your teeth. However, instead of metal brackets and wires, Invisalign uses clear plastic aligners. These aligners are practically invisible, which is why this treatment is so popular among adults.
- Bonding is a process where a dentist applies a tooth-colored resin to your teeth and then hardens it with a UV light. This can be used to change the color, shape, or length of your teeth.
- Contouring is a process where a dentist removes some of the enamel from your teeth in order to change their shape. This can be used to fix chipped or crooked teeth.
- Crowns are basically like caps for your teeth. They’re used to cover up damaged or misshapen teeth.
As you can see, there are a lot of treatments that can be involved in a smile makeover. The specific treatments that you’ll need will depend on what exactly you want to change about your smile.
A lot of people think that a smile makeover is just one treatment, but it’s actually a combination of different treatments that are customized for each patient. So if you’re considering a smile makeover, be sure to consult with a dentist or orthodontist so they can create a treatment plan that’s right for you.
It’s also important to keep in mind that a smile makeover is not a quick fix. Depending on the treatments involved, it can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years to complete. So if you’re looking for an immediate change, this might not be the right option for you.
That being said, if you’re open to a longer treatment plan and you’re looking to make a lasting change to your smile, then a smile makeover might be right for you. It will take some planning between yourself and your dentist, but you can pretty much guarantee that you’ll be happy with the results.
Seeing your dentist in general is always a good idea because they can help you maintain good oral hygiene and catch any problems early on. But if you’re considering a smile makeover, be sure to schedule a consultation so you can get started on the planning process.
A lot of people don’t realize how important their teeth are until they start having problems with them. And by then, it’s usually too late to do anything about it. So if you’re unhappy with your teeth, don’t wait – consult with a dentist or orthodontist today and see if a smile makeover is right for you.
Getting the Most Out of Your Pearly Whites
The world of dentistry is very large and exciting. No matter what your issues might be with your teeth, whether they’re cosmetic or medical, there’s a good chance that there’s a treatment out there that can help.
Some people need braces to straighten their teeth out while others only need a simple teeth whitening treatment. And then there are those who want to go all out with a full smile makeover. Whatever your needs might be, there’s a treatment out there that can help.
Don’t just sit and wait with teeth that you‘re not happy with. There are too many options available that can help you get the smile of your dreams, and plenty of professionals that would be more than happy to help you achieve it. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and find the perfect treatment for you.